Wednesday, November 23, 2016

Getting my Lenovo desktop to enter BIOS screen deterministically

I recently bought a Lenovo IdeaCentre 300s Desktop Intel Core i5 8GB Memory 1TB Hard Drive BlackGray and was having trouble getting it to dual boot. On the face of it, getting into the BIOS was supposed to be easy: the onscreen prompt just recommended hitting ENTER to disrupt the normal boot process. However, my attempts at repeatedly hitting ENTER only produced frustration. I found that despite my hitting ENTER, the system proceeded to boot to Windows 10 directly without any change. I began to suspect the USB keyboard that came along with my Lenovo. When I tried another keyboard, I had short-lived success. It seemed to work the first time, but never again. I suspected that the front USB ports were behaving differently from the rear ones. Again, I had a few successes, but nothing consistent.

It was a while before I figured out that a "cold start" seemed to always work while a "restart" seemed to fail. This lead me to look into the BIOS (a.k.a. Unified Extensible Firmware Interface or "UEFI" these days). Sure enough, I found a couple of entries that seemed to make sense: SecureBoot and QuickBoot. Disable these both and boom hitting ENTER on the power on screen gets you in to BIOS each time.

Note, this really isn't all that much different in terms of boot speeds, so the ability to choose where to boot from, including USB (and not just boot partition which GRUB can handle) is worth it.

OBLIGATORY WARNING: MONKEYING AROUND WITH YOUR BIOS SETTINGS CAN LEAVE YOU WITH A VOID WARRANTY, A VOID SYSTEM, OR BOTH.

No comments: