Monday, May 21, 2012

DD-WRT on DLink DIR-601

Got an amazing deal on a DLINK DIR-601 thanks to dealsea.com. The deal was so good, that I actually recapitulated and actually bought something from BestBuy, after several years (ref my laptop Dork Squad experiences here

BestBuy had a midnight sale that allowed me to get my hands on a DLINK DIR-601 router for $9.99. Woohoo!!

I had been wanting to upgrade my bridge router to a N for a long time. Not that I was unhappy with my champion Linksys WRT-54G running DD-WRT. It's just that all my devices support N, and I could use the speed boost, esp for streaming media. I didn't want to splurge on a 5GHz range router since my main router doesn't yet support it (and I didn't want to spend more than $10).

 So as soon as the device came, i threw out the CD that said "load this in your PC FIRST!!!". Instead, I
a) started it
b) connected my laptop to the lan using a cord
c) found that my laptop's ethernet port had an IP of 192.168.0.100, while the router itself was at 192.168.0.1
d) logged in default username: admin, password: by default this is blank
e) upgraded firmware to dd-wrt

At this point dd-wrt was all set and running, BUT i wasn't able to get client bridge mode to work.

After wasting an hour checking and re-checking, I finally gave up and remembered the commandment "Google is thy friend!".

And lo and behold, came across the following link that suggested that the firmware advertised by google in the first link was BROKEN. broken link

The following link instead works: http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=685851 and after this install, client bridge works like a CHAMP!

No comments: